Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Life Happens - good, bad and ugly

Wow - life has thrown us for a few loops the past couple of months.  Not horrible - nothing like that.  I'm just a bit overwhelmed.  Enough that I haven't even been able to read my blogs since before Valentines...no time.  Things are starting to ease up a little, but I know something else will be right around the corner.
First loop thrown - my daughter started feeling bad the week before Valentines - the Tuesday before my husband had to go pick her up from the nurses office.  No biggie.  She started getting hoarse, but made it through the rest of the week - Friday was a school dance, so she said she felt well enough to go (even though her voice was almost gone) - so we let her.  That night after it was over, we had planned to drive to my parents house a couple hours away.  They recently moved into a new home, and we had yet to visit, so we were excited about it.  Got there around 10:00 pm and my daughter went straight to bed.  Clue one that she wasn't feeling up to par - she's my night owl!  Next day we went to the mall and out to dinner - as soon as we got home from dinner around 7:30 pm she went to bed.  Clue 2 she really didn't feel well.  Sunday we had planned on staying until after lunch before heading home, but my girl felt so bad we went ahead and got on the road early.  In time for me to contact the Dr. and get her seen that afternoon.  Strep was a negative (I was really thinking that's what we may be dealing with).  After explaining to the Dr. all her symptoms - headache, sore throat, swollen glands, stomach pain and tirednesss the Dr. said...sounds like typical symptoms of Mono.  Want me to test her?  Ummm yes...of course.  Sure enough - my baby girl has Mono -  and it's been such a rough ride.  We are on her 5th week out of school...yep!  They have her marked out until April 13th. :(  She is missing her friends, has missed two field trips she was really looking forward to, a birthday party for a close friend, honor band rehearsals (which has her concerned) and Beta Club meetings/services.  She's ready to go back but still feels soooo tired.  I feel so bad for her - this is the girl who hardly ever gets sick, so this has been awful.  She's supposed to go on a school trip with band at the end of this month to Six Flags - but I don't see it happening.  I hate it for her (and me - I was signed up to be a chaperone) - but her health comes first.  She'll be so disappointed, and I hate that.
Second loop thrown - job related, but not bad...just crazy.  Our company was managed by a PEO - they handled our payroll, work comp, unemployment, etc.  So...we were told the second week of February that as of March 1 we were no longer going to be part of the PEO, and would be doing everything in-house.  So...basically there were 3 of us who had 3 weeks to 1.  Find a new payroll system, get all employees entered into the new payroll system/database, including direct deposit information, update federal and state withholding forms, all deductions - benefit premiums, 401k, etc. 2.  Find all new voluntary benefit providers - we had dental, vision, optional life and 401k through our PEO, and we had 3 weeks to get new quotes, and get all benefits changed over to new vendors...seriously, that's an impossible task.  3 freaking weeks.  We literally got the new quotes and the census updates sent over the week the transition took place.  3.  Payroll went live last week - after many calls with support for the new system, and ensuring we had everything in place, last Monday was the day...due to some technical issues, our time and attendance wasn't properly linking to the system so we had to manually enter payroll and commissions.  4.  Friday - direct deposit day.  Out of 130 people, we had 5 issues.  All resolved the same day, thank goodness.  I guess it could have been worse, but considering we had 3 weeks to get everything transitioned, I'll take it.  It's been exhausting, though.  I stayed at work late more than one night each week trying to ensure a smooth transition.  5.  We are getting ready to move to a new location - we have two current locations, and we are getting ready to combine both locations into one larger building.  Moving occurs at the end of this month, or the first week of next.  Lots going on at work - at least it's not boring!  Ha!  :)
Back to my daughter - just got a call that her stomach is hurting - I worry about the spleen, because it's susceptible to swelling during mono - waiting for a call back from the Dr.  Ugh!
My son  - still trying to get this gluten free diet down.  It's been a tough transition ya'll.  Luckily as time goes on, we are finding more and more items that are GF, and he's willing to try.  It's just trial and error and hoping something is good.  If he wasn't so darned picky...lol!  That's the challenge.
Anyway - took a brief break. Now back to work, and hoping to hear back from the Dr. soon.  Mono sucks!!


Theresa Mahoney said...

Awww! Your poor baby girl! My friend had mono in 7th grade and was out of school for several months. It's terrible how out of commission this illness makes one. I really hope she starts to feel better soon and I'll keep my fingers crossed that she can still get to go on that 6 Flags trip.

Yikes on the work situation. I'd say you are Wonder Woman getting all of that done in such a short time frame! Hopefully things settle down and the merging of the two buildings runs as smooth as possible!

indah nuria Savitri said...

I hope your daughter get well pretty soon. As for the working conditions, those are tough! Wishing you all the courage, energy and patience to go through this daunting moment.

One crazed mommy said...

Theresa - I know, it really does suck. She seems to be, for the most part, on the upswing but she still has her moments of just pure exhaustion. The teacher is now coming to the house, so she's getting caught up on her assignments. Turns out the Six Flags trip was cancelled - they didn't have enough people sign up, so we'll be getting the money reimbursed. I'm actually kind of relieved because I would have hated for her to have missed it, but now that it's cancelled she won't have to worry about feeling left out. I'm bummed, though, because I was going to chaperone. Oh well - this summer we'll have to go to Carowinds or something fun instead. :) Work is starting to slow down, but we are still running into a few minor issues after the transition - luckily not major, and fixable. It's getting there. Whew!

Indah - Thank you - she's getting there, so hoping it will be over soon. The work is getting better too, but it was a bit overwhelming for a while. Hoping things calm down by spring break - I think I may have to take a couple days off to recoup. My brain may need a reboot by then. :)