Friday, February 13, 2015

Hello...it's me...I'm aliiiiivvvveeeee

So...I don't even remember the last time I wrote on my blog.  So much to do, so little time -and everyone writes so much better than me - so I read.  :)  So - I'm going to ramble because I don't even know where I left off.  Let's just say Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas, and Happy New Years late - because I know I haven't written since then.  What has happened since then?  Hmmmm - so much!  Synopsis - my daughter turned 11, the day after her birthday party I had to fly to Chicago (technically Bolingbrook) for work - it was cold!  My birthday (I won't say how old...only 29 and holding...hahahahaha!  I wish!) My parents and MIL came down for Christmas - it was a great time, and my kids got an X-Box...so they were happy!  New Years - my best friend and her family came down so we got to ring in the new year with them in town, and champagne toasts for the adults! Fun stuff!  In January we got to go to Lake Lure, with the same wonderful people, for a long weekend.  It was cool to go during the winter when you can't access the lake for swimming or boating, which is normally the routine of the days when we go.  It was a little more relaxed, with visits to Chimney Rock and the little touristy shops, kayaking on the water (the only boat available - everything else was being winterized, and the water was 10 feet down), renting movies, and just relaxing - it was nice!  Very nice!  Now Valentine's Day is tomorrow - I got the kids their class valentines, but I have yet to get the first thing...well, I ordered a movie for hubby, because that's what he wanted - but nothing else!  My daughter has a birthday party tonight - skating and slumber party, so we allowed my son to have a friend over - hope it's not too crazy! 
My son gets his braces off soon - only to have my daughter go in them.  Yuck!  My daughter is now wearing a bra...really!?!  Really!?!  Why can't they just stay young.  :(  My son got his first text from a girl...and an invite to a movie!  They are in 4th grade...the girls really are brave these days, aren't they!  I would never have called a boy and invited him to a movie...he would have had to call me!  Times have changed.  Sigh!  Since my son doesn't have a phone of his own, he's always having to use mine - I'm seriously contemplating breaking my rule of no phone until Middle School over this because it's becoming inconvenient! LOL!  My daughter starts middle school next year, and I have already told her she can get her phone over the summer...I know that most of her friends already have phones, but I refuse to cave on this one!!!  She's been saving up for her own phone and has saved almost $100 so far - proud of her!  I won't actually make her pay for it herself, but I'm not telling her any differently at this point. 
Why is it I can think of so many things to write about when I'm not at the computer, but I always have a brain freeze when I start typing - I mean, I think the stuff above is interesting...but who else does? What is it I like about other blogs - honestly I don't know - I like reading about other people - kind of like pictures. Some people could care less about other people's picture...I love them!  I find looking into the lives of  others fascinating...I know that sounds stalkerish, but I don't mean it in that way at all.  Haha! 
So - let's see - I love to read and am always looking for book ideas.  I have two blogs that I follow and get ideas on, plus I follow (stalk) all my Facebook Friends on Goodreads.  I have set a goal for myself to read 25 books this year - my husband thinks I'm nuts (he hates to read) but I read 24 last year...so it's very doable.  I've finished 2 so far, and reading a third. Here are some of my favorites from last year/this year:
1.  The All Souls Trilogy (Deborah Harkness) - just finished The Tree of Life, Book #3 - don't expect to breeze through them - they are long books, and full of interesting characters (from witches, vampires, daemons and humans- but none like has ever been depicted before) and full of fascinating information,  and characters, including many historical figures well known in history- but the books aren't light and breezy by any means!!  Fun and interesting - love the character development!!  Highly recommend for anyone who loves a great story - but again, not a beach book!
2. Anything by Liane Moriarty makes me laugh - loved Three Wishes,  liked The Husband's Secret, and currently reading Big Little Lies
3.  Loved The Fault in our Stars - have not seen the movie, but loved the book despite very mixed reviews.
4.  Michele G. Miller's From The Wreckage Series...oh man - I read all 3 of the series in 4 days (over two weekends) - loved the story and the characters! Also check out Last Call - you will fall in love with Gage -and a second book is supposed to be coming out soon!!
5.  Mindy Hayes - Mindy is the niece (by marriage) of one of my work friends.  She has two series out.  The first is the Faylinn Series starting with Kaleidoscope, which is fantasy, and fun to read.
The other is completely different - The first is Me After You and is a contemporary fiction (clean) romance.  Waiting for the second book to come out!!
6.  The Sisterhood
7.  The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - different type of writing style - didn't like it at first, but kept reading and turned out to be one of my favorites from last year.  Endearing book!
8.  Rare Bird - I didn't want to read this one - only because I follow the author's blog and it is a book about dealing with grief and coming to terms/learning to live life again after her young son's untimely accidental death.  I've read her blog "An Inch of Gray" and she truly has a way with words - raw, funny, honest...she will have you running through a whole gamut of emotions...but if you know of anyone going through grief, let them know about Rare Bird by Anna Whiston-Donaldson.
9.  The Book Thief - I also loved this book, and the narrator was different from any book I've ever read.  It's beautifully written, and one of my all time favorites Not a "light" read - it's moving, and touches WW2 in a different light.  But well worth the read - soooo good!  I haven't seen the movie, but I've heard you MUST read the book first. 
10.  Schism - This was a very interesting debut book, and even better - I went to high school with the author, Brett Dent.  He describes it as Sci-Fi...and I guess it is, but I'm not really a Sci-Fi fan all in all -  however, I think it's more about normal people with unnatural powers (telekinesis, teleportation, mind reading, mind manipulation, etc.) - check it out!  You can get it on kindle or nook, and it just came out in paperback too! 
I could write more, but I'll leave it there for now.  Just found out we are going to the beach (with afore-mentioned friends) for a week this summer, and I'm soooooo excited!  Most of the time we have family vacations, but there is nothing like enjoying time with friends.  Yay! 

No comments: