Tuesday, February 25, 2014

February - Just a little update

Hi all - well, it's February.  I don't have a whole lot of updates, but a few things to mention.  My son got braces - he struggled with them at first, but he's adjusted very well.  He picked blue bands.  Haha!  Such a boy!  Daughter has to get them as well, but she has to lose 3 more teeth - so next year.  Yay!  The "ice storm" that was supposed to be so huge for us was and wasn't.  We were supposed to get snow - like 4-6 inches worth.  Got none - at all...however, we did have icicles.  To the point that one of the pine trees in our yard dropped a limb and swiped the side mirror right off my car. Lots and lots and lots of trees and limbs down in the area.  Luckily we never lost power, but thousands in our area did.  It was rather humorous, though, that Wednesday the bridges were shut down for ice, and by Sunday it was up to 70 degrees...such as weather in SC.  LOL!  Kids were out of school for 3 days - at that point it was because so many were without electricity.  Yikes!   Valentines Day was one of those days - poor kids.  I felt bad for them - they semi-celebrated it the following week, but it's not the same. Everyone had a nice Valentine's at home, though.  I got daughter a monster high doll, the son a wii game, and hubby a blue-ray movie - and chocolate for all.  I got a new photo album (which I needed because I had photos piling up that needed a home) and chocolate as well.  We didn't go out for two reasons.  1.  It was Valentine's Day and the restaurants are nuts - plus we had no babysitter for the kids.  2.  The ice storm had just ended...so everyone was wanting to get out of the house.  So...we ended up ordering Applebees takeout, and ate while playing Monopoly with the kiddos!  It was fun.  :)
Really nothing else new going on here - kids doing well in school. Earlier in the month Daddy and Daughter got to go to a dance together.  They got all dolled up, and got some cute pics of them heading out on their date.  Since they were going out, my son and I decided to go on a date as well - we went to see the Lego Movie.  It was so cute!  Daughter was jealous...but heck, she got to dance!  Haha! Got to bring daughter out this past weekend - some new shops opened up at the entrance to our neighborhood, so we went and checked them out - she ate at Moe's for the first time.  She LOVED it.  :)  We saw sooooo many cute animals at the pet store - the animal shelter was on site, with dogs and cats for adoption...I wanted to take them all home.  :(  Weird story - daughter and I were inside checking out the little critters (hamsters, birds, snakes...) and while we were at the bird cages I looked up.  Right on the shelf was a white bird just sitting there - no cage - just looking at us.  I asked an employee if it was supposed to be out, and she replied with "I don't know where that one came from - it's not one of our birds".  So - they go get a net to get it - it starts flying around the room, so daughter and I are trying to keep out eye on it so it doesn't fly out the door.  It was not a typical outdoor bird - it was a pet of some kind...beautiful!  Anywho - they caught it, but now I want to know what happened to it???  Are they going to sell it?  Curious...it was odd, though.  Ohhhhh - ohhhhh - Hubby got a new job in real estate!  It's with a smaller company, but he already had his first clients sign a buyer's agreement form with him.  :)  He just started 2 weeks ago, so it's going well!  So excited!!!  Been reading  a lot during the colder months - I have got quite a list of completed books since January...I have seriously read 11 books and am onto number 12.  For any readers out there, I am ALWAYS looking for good book suggestions - don't be shy - please let me know of any!  :) 
1. Finished The Hangman's Daughter #4 (read the whole series between last summer and January)
2.The Fault In Our Stars - Great book!!! 
3.The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society - I truly adored this book.  Didn't think I would, but I got hooked quickly!
4. Flowertown - Very interesting conspiracy theory story!
5.  Me After You - Mindy Hayes is the neice of one of my co-workers.  Thought I would try it out - really enjoyed it!!
6.  The Widow File - It was good, but not great.
7.  The Sisterhood - Great story!
8.  The Test - Good story.
9.  Schism - This is one that was written by a high school friend - he self-published, and I heard about it through him on Facebook - thought I would check it out.  Brett Dent - you can find it for $2.99 on Kindle - very interesting sci-fi psychological thriller.
10.  The Book Thief - Probably one of the best books I have read - I adored it, and cried...love, love, love.
11.  Currently reading The Silent Wife - only on chapter 2. 
Next plan on reading Dr. Sleep, The Husband's Secret and a couple others on my kindle and bedside table.  :)
Anyway - hope you all begin thawing out soon - I'm sure everyone will be ready for spring this year!!!  

No comments: