Friday, April 19, 2013

Finally Friday

What a week it has been!  The week began on Sunday with boss and I travelling out of town for business.  It was a good day - we got in a little shopping and a nice dinner (with free dessert because whoever sat us down forgot to tell the waitress...so we waited, and waited and waited some more).  Lately wherever I go somewhere with others for dinner, I seem to bring bad luck to the service, the food or something...it's become a joke with my co-workers.  Although the past few times they have been calling me a free dessert good luck charm.  Haha!  Anyway - things were going very smoothly, then on Monday tragedy happened in Boston.  My heart was heavy as I thought of my friends and family who live in that area, so many states away from my own.  Luckily everyone was okay, and my marathoner friend just happened to not run this year.  I, along with so many others, was glued to the tv.  When I got back to the motel I immediately flipped on the news.  Devestating!  Then I get home and Wednesday the explosion in West Texas occurs.  Just a bad week - my heart fell again.  Then...my own home had sadness.  My 12 year old cat, Burt, had not been doing well for the past 2 weeks...out of the blue just got worse day by day.  3 days ago he wouldn't leave the bathroom, and if he tried to walk he fell after 2 feet.  It was heartbreaking to watch!  My first thought was stroke.  Brought him to the vet first thing yesterday morning.  Normally he weight 15-17 lbs. but the vet weighed him and he was 11 lbs!!!  He said Burt was dehydrated and he wanted to run tests to see if there was something major or something easily fixable going on.  A few hours later he called with bad news - Burt had diabetes - numbers literally off the chart!  I never in a million years would have figured he could have diabetes - we fed him right, no table scraps...how??  Anyway, the vet said we could go the treatment route, consisting of 2 insulin shots per day, plus a weekly visit to the vet for fluids - and very costly.  Or...you know the alternative.  It was a hard decision to make, but after asking the vet what he would do if it was his cat, we decided to put him down.  He was old, and the vet said there was already so much liver and kidney damage, there was no guarantee of him ever having a normal live.  I didn't make it to work yesterday - I cried and cried and dreaded telling the kids.  They took it well, but everyone is heartbroken!  Our other kitty keeps looking for Burt - they were buddies, and it breaks my heart to see him so confused.  :(  So sad!  So, it's just been a crappy week all the way around.  My heart is breaking for all of the families in Boston and West who have been effected by the tragedies of the past week.  Tomorrow my son has a performance at school - hopefully the day will lift everyone's spirits, and spring will continue on with no more incidents.  Happy Friday to everyone - and be kind to those around you - you never know what they may be going through!!

2 comments:

LauraBeth said...

I came to your blog just now from Inch of Gray. I saw your comment about your Burt and had to come here to send you and your family a virtual hug. Our cat Corey (almost 14) died on Tuesday morning. Sudden catastrophic kidney failure in the span of a week. Know that someone in Virginia is thinking of you and your family as we are missing one of ours.

One crazed mommy said...

Thank you so much Laura Beth - and I'm so sorry to hear about Corey. Sending you and your family back a virtual hug! Thinking of you guys as well!