Monday, October 22, 2012

Football Weather is Here - Yay!!!

I get a little giddy when it starts to cool off - I don't know why, but I do!  I absolutely HATE the cold, but I love, love, love snuggling in a sweatshirt on a crisp fall day.  LOVE it!  We finally have started dropping down to the low 70's during the day and down into the 50's at night.  Just in time for Halloween...happy dance!  :) 

This weekend was perfect as far as weather goes.  The Susan G Koman had the race for the cure in our area, so my coworkers and I got a team together to walk in memory of our friend, Kelly, and honestly the weather couldn't have been more beautiful.  Sunny, bright yet just a slight crisp in the morning air - made it a wonderful morning for a walk.  It started at 7:00 a.m. to catch the shuttles to the walk location...they also had a concert in town at the same location, so driving was not an option I was willing to partake in.  The shuttles would suit me just fine, thank you!  Actually, most of us met up at the shuttle location and had a blast riding together.  The shuttles ended up being regular yellow school busses.  We rode in the back like the bad kids...it was fun!  Haha!  For those of you who have not participated in the Race for the Cure before, I highly encourage it - not only is it for a wonderful cause, but it's also a lot of fun.  Lots of vendors handing out freebies, which is nice, but the atmosphere...oh the atmosphere is what is so great!  So many people, both survivors, friends and family, joining together to fight breast cancer - it's just amazing to see!  We plan on getting a team together every year - and I will be there! 

After the Race for the Cure went home to get ready for a visit from my parents.  It was a low key day, with the hilight going to Carrabas for lunch - yum!  And my Georgia Bulldogs won!!!  Yay!  :) 

The weekend was great...until last night.  My husband had just finished grilling our dinner and he asked to call in the kids.  They had been indoors most of the day (why I don't know - it was gorgeous out) so I told him that we could go ahead and eat - let them play about 15 more minutes.  So...I'm just about done eating when my daughter runs in the door informing me that her brother is hurt and crying.  I ask her to go bring him home (I was already in my pj's and not really wanting to go outside if I could help it).  Well...I was waiting at the door when I saw my daughter with her arm around her brother, and he was loudly sobbing holding his wrist...uhoh...not good!  We have managed to make it to ages 7 and 8 with nothing more than a nosebleed!  Well - he gets home and his wrist is swollen.  So, after a quick look and assessment my husband and I look at each other, nod in agreement - Medcare Express!  Since my husband had indulged in a few libations while grilling, I got the honors of bringing my son to the Dr.  Poor fella cried all the way there, but was so brave when he went to get the x-rays.  Turns out to be a buckle fracture - not a total break, but bad enough.  So, they put him in a temporary cast/splint and referred him to an ortho - we go tomorrow to find out if the splint will suffice, or if he needs a different cast.  Hopefully this will suffice.  Anyway - he was rewarded with not one, not two, but three lollipops and a certificate of bravery with a free ice cream coupon.  He even gave his sister one of his lollipops!  My sweet boy!  Anyway - the whole thing happened because my son was wanting to see what his sister and friend were doing and proceeded to climb up a fence to peek over - his friend pulled his legs to yank him down, causing him to fall and land on his arm.  Anyway - wish us luck at the ortho tomorrow! 

Next weekend should be more fun (hopefully) - there is a fall fest at the local YMCA, and it sounds like it will be a blast!  $5.00 per family - I think it's worth it to check it out at that price, anyway!  If it doesn't work out, they have a really cool sounding haunted walk which sounds fun!  We may do that anyway!  :)  I'm getting excited about Halloween - we have a very active neighborhood with lots and lots of kids, so it's always a fun night for everyone!  My daughter is dressing up as Draculara - for those of you who don't know, it's a Monster High Character - again if you don't know...no worries!  Haha!  My son is dressing as Darth Vader - I told him if he gets a cast, he can just hold it out and pretend it's a light saber - haha!  He thinks I'm nuts. 

Happy Fall to all!  :)

No comments: